CURRENT LOCATION:

Cuba, Al. 5:30pm

Monday, January 4, 2010

Carniverous pause



We just stopped at the World Famous Big Texan Steakhouse (www.bigtexan.com). This is the home of the original 72 oz steak challenge. The gist is, eat half a cow, three fried shrimp, side salad, potato, and a roll in one hour and you win the challenge. If you win your meal is free, you get some prizes, picture on a wall, listing on the website..yada, yada. If you don't, you pay $72 for your meal. I also forgot to mention that while you are eating your meal you are on a platform in the middle of the restaurant all by yourself with people coming up to stare at you and take pictures of you chew your cud. None of us were brave enough to wander into the playground of self humiliation.

However!! There was one young sucker who tried it while we were there. It was a group of college age boys also heading to Pasadena. One of their clan accepted the challenge and made a solid attempt. I bet he ate 3/4 of the steak and all of the side items. He got out to a good start but was pretty much done at the 30 minute mark. His boys were trying to give him the mental pep talk and were giving him some grief for throwing in the towel with 15 minutes to go. I am sure it is easy to talk smack when your nibbling on fries and burger....I hope he yacks in his buddy's backseat. In comparison, I ate 9 oz of my 18 oz. The Bro polished off most of his ribeye and the Cuz got catfish.......go figure.

My mobile internet connection is having trouble in this part of the country. I'll upload photos when we get to the hotel. Gotta run...just hit New Mexico and a picture is waiting..

2 comments:

  1. really dissapointed that no one tried it... I thought of all the people I know who would, you guys would be top of the list!
    And Mark... you're a girl... I ate a 32 oz at Trail Dust in Dallas once... fat and all :)

    BJ

    ReplyDelete